MySQL is available for several operating systems. In this blog, I’ll cover windows and Linux only.
For MySQL 5.7, there are multiple installation package formats to choose from when installing MySQL on Windows.
MySQL Installer: The package has the file name (mysql-installer-community-188.8.131.52.msi or mysql-installer-commercial-184.108.40.206.msi) for community and commercial use. The Installer option will download and apply updates to itself and each of the product installed. MySQL installer can install and manage many other products, including..
- Application – MySQL workbench, MySQL notifier, MySQL utilities etc..
- Connectors – MySQL connector/C, C++ , Connector/Python etc…
- documentation – MySQL Manual (PDF format), samples and examples
Community Edition is further of two type: Web and Full.
The noinstall Zip Archive: These packages contain the files found in the complete installation package, with the exception of the GUI. This format does not include an automated installer, and must be manually installed and configured.
Here are steps for MySQL installer option:
- Run the installer after downloading and check the I accept box under the License Agreement and click Next.
- Select the Setup Type then click Next. Check all Options.
- To begin installation, press Execute. I skipped the screenshots here.
- When installation is complete, click Next.
- First, select the Server Configuration Type then click Next.
- Set an account password, then click Next.
- Choose a name for the installed program, choose a user account under which the program will be used, then click Next.
- Use the Plugins and Extensions window to choose how the program will connect to the server, then click Next.
- To apply the chosen settings, click Execute in the Apply Server Configuration window.
- When configuration is complete, click Finish.
- The program will then go back to the Product Configuration screen. Click Next.
- Installation is now complete. Click Copy Log to Clipboard to see Read Me file, or click Finish.
Tips for noinstall option:
- Default location is c:\mysql. Otherwise user must specify non-default location.
- change the basedir=”C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7″ in “my.ini” file
- Install MySQL with following option
mysqld --install MYSQL --default-file="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.7\my.ini"
- change to bin directory and invoke server
- change the default service name
shell> mysqld --install my_service (example mysql5.7)
Linux installation on next Page.